Kennedy Middle School Family Resource Center
For more information
Contact our School Technician: Vivian Valencia at (505) 298-6701 ext 24006 firstname.lastname@example.org
The Family Resource Center provides students and families with access to resources available at Kennedy Middle School and through outside organizations and partners.
The Family Resource Center also houses the Kennedy Watch D.O.G.S. (Dads of Great Students).
- Connecting families to physical and mental health services
- Help getting food aid (including information about Free and Reduced Lunch and the NM SNAP Program)
Workkeys Skills Assessment:
- Kennedy Middle School is an official WorkKeys certified site. WorkKeys is a national assessment tool that uses multiple choice tests to measure real-world skills and career readiness. WorkKeys helps identify the level of skills you possess to determine your potential for success on the job. The WorkKeys site, located in the Family Resource Center, is for Grant Middle School families. Offered are eight different assessments, with assessments computer-graded (except for business writing). The FRC also offers on-site WorkKeys practice for assessments and ties to Talent Albuquerque job listings. See our Community School Technician Vivian Valencia for access to our Family Resource Center where our computers and internet to access workkeys and the skills/career assessment(s) is located.
- Access to information about nearby English classes, GED, or US citizenship
- Assistance with resume writing and job hunting
- Understanding the steps necessary to pursue and obtain a degree or certification
- Help preparing for, enrolling in and receiving financial aid for college
- Obtaining computer access and computer training
Opportunities to Get Involved: Per APS Regulations: Background Checks are required for ALL VOLUNTEERS
- Assisting with After-school events and Programs
- Working in the Family Resource Center or Teacher Workroom
- Helping out during the school day in the office or classroom
- Contacting other parents and/or elected officials about education, health or family issues as needed
FRC staff advance the CSI community schools initiative, which includes extended learning, family engagement and family supports, in order to remove barriers to learning and further student success. After-school providers and parent/community volunteers are integral members of the FRC. A major focus of the FRC staff, including the community school technician, is to help families engage with the school, connect families to support services and recruit and train parent/family volunteers.
Family Resource Center Overview:
Building on a Parent Resource Centers (PRC) model that promotes parent awareness of public school services for students and their families. By providing families and the community with the skills/tools to have their basic needs met, achieve their goals, as well as promote student needs to community and policymakers, the FRC becomes a nexus for connecting families and community to the school. FRC works to connect families more closely to the school and improve the overall school climate by educating parents about how to connect with the many services offered at the school and in the local community. The FRC also strengthens the relationship of the school with families by involving them more directly in the school, district, state and national level decisions that directly affect the education of their students and provide support in advocating for issues of concern to middle school students and their families as identified by parents and the administrative team. FRC-related parental involvement means more parents share in regular, meaningful dialogue with educators around topics of student academic learning and other school activities to ensure that:
- Parents are integral in supporting their child’s learning;
- Parents are actively involved in their child’s school-based education;
- Parents are full partners in their child’s education, which includes input, as appropriate, in decision-making and serving on advisory committees